What it is and how it operates…
Is a Mobile and Online Games Site
Was launched in 2001 and is known for having a large and varied collection of games. It is the world’s largest privately owned online gaming website. on a budget of $40,000 and quickly grew. As of 2008, the company has been valued at over $200 million, having been profitable for six of its seven years, with turnovers exceeding $20 million only in the past two years.
Miniclip Is available in English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, Polish, Hindi, Romanian, Hungarian, Korean, Chinese, Turkish, and Japanese and has a social system with registered “game players” who play games with each other and play in custom friend leagues together.
- Game players have their own game profile pages
- Awards are earned by performing actions on the website
- The worldwide daily, weekly and monthly leader boards are displayed in games
- Players are ranked worldwide with a special color – code
- Players have a games news feed on their profile pages
- For certain new live multiplayer games there is a real time matchmaking system
- Avatars are called YoMe’s and can be customized to include many different looks and styles
Yelp is an interesting platform and Application for phones created to find out information
about specific businesses with a focus on user reviews.
At the beginning, (2004) Yepl was proposed as a “Business Incubator Web Site” where users could ask friends for their recommendations on local services via email but, when its founders noticed the popularity of the “Real Reviews” feature the web site was relaunched in February 2005 with this as one of its key features.
By 2007 the web site had received one million user-submitted reviews of local businesses.
The number of reviewers grew from 12,000 in 2005, to 100,000 reviewers in 2006. That year, Yelp began a marketing campaign featuring window stickers for store windows, in 2007 provided access to business listing details, reviews, photos, and ratings and was used to add business information to a website, widget, or mobile application and by 2008, the website hadfifteen million visitors per month.
The company’s web site provides specialized search capabilities and provides information about businesses in a given area using address or ZIP code information. Each paid business listing contains a filtered 5-point rating, filtered reviews from other site visitors, and details such as:
- The business’ address
- Site visitors can update business listings with moderator approval
- Business owners can access and update their listing information directly.
Listings include stores, service businesses, cultural venues, public places and more. Yelp websites and features are available for many mobile devices.
Scribd is a self-publishing platform that is also an Application for phones where you can not only publish articles, but also share files, like a viral short eBook you created. This can include articles, eBooks, PowerPoint presentations, newsletters, pictures, and other stuff.
The idea was originally inspired when his founder was at the College and was having difficulties of publishing academic papers.
It was easy to find interested in collaborating in the project as well as investors so quickly positioned the company as one of the most popular social networks sites. Now more than 100 media companies use brand readers Scribd to embed source material in his stories.
Supported formats include:
- Microsoft Excel (. Xls,. Xlsx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (. Ppt,. Pps. Pptx)
- Microsoft Word (. Doc,. Docx)
- OpenDocument (. Odt, odp,. Ods,. Odf,. Odg)
- OpenOffice.org XML (. Sxw,. Sxi,. Sxc,. Sxd)
- Plain text (. Txt)
- Portable Document Format (. Pdf)
- PostScript (. Ps)
- Rich Text Format (. RTF)
- Tagged image file format (. Tif,. TIFF)
More importantly, it combines the publishing aspect with social marketing. Scribd is easy to use. and it’s free.
WAZE is a GPS Phone Application which is fed with information provided by its subscribers in real time.
It was created by three Israelites and quickly spread around the world thanks to its benefits in everyday life.
Facebook tried to buy it but did not reach an agreement. Then Google negotiated with them for U.S. $ 1.03 billions, thus becoming the technology sales transaction largest in the history of the Republic of Israel.
Waze users are called wazers, and software unlike traditional GPS aided navigation, this is maintained by the users, and learns of the routes traveled by users to provide routing information and traffic updates in real time. Waze offers features that include:
- Spoken turn by turn instructions (speech synthesis)
- Spoken street names
- Reports real-time traffic
- Gasoline prices in real time
- Possibility of avoiding tolls **
- Free, regular updates to the map installed and automatically displayed
- Search fate full address, category, name of the place, points of interest, or by using the contact information.
- Integrated search target: Google, Foursquare, Bing, Contacts
- Support for external applications insert targets using
- multi-language support
- Integration with social networks (Twitter and Facebook)
CAUSES is an Application created by Facebook in order to provide “easy-to-use tools” where users can create, join or browse causes focused on issues in which they are interested and is one of its largest applications, currently has the second largest number of monthly active users on Facebook, with over 2,300,000 monthly active users that have started over 350,000 issue-based causes. Of these, almost 40 percent are raising money for a US nonprofit or Canadian charity, with a median donations of $25.
With this interesting platform you can customize three different templates: — a petition, pledge, or fundraiser — or just find one that you want to support.
- No cost email tools
- Technical support 24/7
- Uses all the tools of Facebook to spread the word about your Cause.
Through this tool, campaign creators can reach out to their supporters via email – at no cost, anytime.
For supporters, managing email subscriptions is a simple, one-click process. Besides, “causes” provides advice to nonprofit organizations on how to how to get more help from the public.